Interview with an Artbeads.com Designer
- How long have you been designing jewelry and how long have you been a designer for Artbeads.com?
I’ve been designing (well, stringing, poorly at first) since 2001. I started working with Cynthia on the Learning Center in 2006.
- Where do you find your inspiration for your design ideas?
Everywhere! I can find things at a flea market and get inspired. Music helps, people watching is the best! Especially at bead shows. Ultimately the beads have to speak to me. If I find a texture or color I love I go wild.
- Could you tell us a little bit about your creative process?
I’m not much of a planner. I am more of the school of crimp a wire to a clasp and go! It leads to some reworking from time to time, but usually works out great. Impulsiveness pays off!
- What has been your favorite project you’ve worked on for the Artbeads.com Learning Center?
Maggie’s wedding! I got to work on Alyssa, Sophie and Diana’s jewelry, but the components were already chosen for me! I just loved the challenge of working with items I might not normally choose and expressing different personalities through each set.
- As an artbeads.com designer what is it like to have access to every bead imaginable?
It’s truly amazing. I sometimes get stuck at home, and work mostly with pearls or stones, but in the office, there are little treasures I forget about that I get to incorporate into designs to inspire others. How fun is that?
- Is there an artbeads.com item that you haven’t yet had the chance to work with but would like to soon?
I’m getting more and more into altered art, so I am really excited to play with some of the Artgirlz rubber stamps and funky pewter pieces like the arms and legs, crowns and wings. I just know something crazy will come out of that!
- What is your favorite beading material to work with?
Trick question. I love EVERYTHING! I think the inspiration for many of my pieces are pendants. I love a wonderful focal piece that is the prelude to a great story.